Just some info:

Please keep in mind that I have lots of time and money invested in this project. Many of the names are family members... some a few (not usually very far) generations down the line. Others are names in my husband's family, brothers-in-laws families and my sons-in-laws families and daughter-in-laws families. Some are related to others in my family tree but not directly to me. All information I have personally gathered. I did not use any information from the Mormon Church's many sites. I have researched everything. Most photos belong to me directly, except the ones that I have given credit too.

My family lines are (note: the * are in my family tree {I still have many to mark.}) Jones, Pugh, Knowles, Prothero, Painter, Owens, Nash, Albright, Watkins, Hall, Edgerton, Willoughby, Draper, Charinsky, Aikin, Moore, Meers, Morgan, DalValley (DalVallee), Monson, Klaman, Breeden, Dora, Russell, Williamson, Arnold, Chism, Siddell, Weindenburner, Gill, Ames, Wallis, Chantos, Keller, Davis, Wilcox, Cox, Pate, Gruber, Palmer, Sullivan, Douthit, West, Butler, Reese, Balsley, Smallcomb and the list goes on.

Some folks, on this blog, are friends or friends' parents. Others are individuals that are on the same page as one of my family.

I am willing to do research for others, however I do charge for extensive research and for the cost of research items. To check in some of our local cemetery records they do charge. Birth and Death records also cost. Before I do that search I will require a deposit in my paypal account. Please ask ahead if I will be charged to help you. Also all of the articles I have, I have paid to make copies of .

Give me a Shout-out About Family History

I am not only looking for and posting my own family history, but others that I have found.



Blank lines means the individual is still living at the time that I post the article. I try not to publish any names of living individuals. This is not always possible, as some folks may still be alive and I don't know them. Sorry if I have posted a name of someone you know for sure is still living. Contact me and I will make their name a blank line.
I have the complete obit if you are related and need more information. Please state how you are related in your email.


Have Genealogy you would like to share?

Contact me at genealogist53@gmail.com



Sunday, July 25, 2010

I have more information, but first...

I have more information, but first I thought I would start a discussion on how to begin in genealogy or the study of family history.

Searching for information on your family could be hard, especially if you have decided to start near your retirement age. (I started over 30 years ago, before Internet.) I find that using a program for genealogy is useful. There is a good free one on the Internet - http://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder
First enter all of the information you can. Start with yourself. Then you start working backwards.
The next step is to find obituaries about individuals in your family. Go to your public library if they are local. If not go to a library that would be have the newspapers for the area of your relatives.
Go to the courthouse, check records there.
Join an ancestry site if you are real intense on genealogy.
Also your local Mormon organization could tell you where they have a library of ancestry documents that you can search. At their libraries you can use their ancestry.com site for free to search records.
Talk to relatives.
There is a great public library in Fort Wayne, Indiana that has many records. Make plans to visit there.
Go to the cemeteries where you think individuals may be buried. I take pictures of all the grave markers with names in my family. I come home, label on my computer, and then search to see if I have them in my tree. If not, I hold on to them in a folder I labeled grave markers and then I make individual folders for each cemetery so I will know where I have found it. With digital it does not cost me anything more than my time. Also some markers only have years on them and not the full date. If you need the full date because you don't know when they passed, go to the cemeteries office and they can help you.
This will get you started. Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment